ifyougetboredjustwalkaway

ifyougetboredjustwalkaway

26.6.12

Whelp, that’s over.

School is officially out here in the Kingdom, and it went out in one big anticlimactic sigh.




I spent the last two weeks with very few, if any, students. I had ample time to prep for next year, and although I got a leg up on everything in theory, hardly anything actually got accomplished. The year ended much as it began, a slow day to day struggle to finish even the smallest of tasks, but unlike 8 months ago I’m actually pretty satisfied with the small amount that got done. Next year will undoubtedly start out in a much better position, and I can say with almost certainty that most classes will have enough books and, hopefully, enough desks to at least function like a normal school. If everything falls into place a few dozen lucky (and naively unassuming) Westerners will join our ranks come late August. I guess we’ll see how that plays out.


School is officially out here in the Kingdom, and it went out in one big anticlimactic sigh.


Yesterday afternoon, sitting by the pool after my last official workday, I read through the first few entries in my gournal from the beginning of the school year. I’d like to be able to say that they were valuable in terms of learning about some profound change within myself or seeing how much I’ve matured either personally or professionally, but really they’re just a reminder of how ridiculous my life in Saudi has been from day one. I honestly can’t think of a day where I haven’t stopped at some point and thought to myself ‘how is this real life?’ Its interesting to think that, of all the things that have happened in my time here, there were only one or two instances when I seriously considered throwing in the towel, and what’s more amazing (at least personally) is how much I’ve actually enjoyed living through the chaos.

I don’t really know what that says about me. It could be that I have some innate ability to deal with disorder and that I acclimate well to constantly changing, difficult situations. It’s more likely that I have the right blend of patience and apathy. Who knows.


I have a few weeks to relax here under the Arabian Sun before I head back to the States for a long summer holiday. I’m glad this particular chapter is over, but I am excited to start another now that I know what to expect (or so I hope) when I come back in August. 

Inshallah.