ifyougetboredjustwalkaway

ifyougetboredjustwalkaway

23.11.12

Diversions


Diversions

From Oxford Dictionary: Diversion: an activity that diverts the mind from tedious or serious concerns.

A new teacher, from a very privileged affluent teaching background, arrived during our Eid Holiday. My Principal decided to extend his holiday by two days without telling anyone, so I was left in charge and had to entertain him for the time being. He caught up with me yesterday in the hallway while I was taking a break from going back and forth between teaching my fourth grade class and handling fistfights between other grades while they were on their break.

Me under my breath: .... I really fucking hate children.
Newbie: I beg your pardon?
Me: I hate children.
Newbie: Seems like an odd thing to say.
Me: ...eh.

There was an awkwardly long pause. He didn't walk away.

Newbie: How long have you been teaching in Saudi?
Me: This is my second year.
Newbie: How long have you been a teacher?
Me: This is my second year.
Newbie: ... Really?
Me: ... Yes.
Newbie: That seems like an odd thing to say.
Me: ...
Newbie: You're a teacher, and you hate children... Isn't that an odd thing to say?
Me: ... If you cleaned septic tanks for a living, neck deep in shit every day, would you enjoy plunging your hands in every random clogged toilet you came across just because people think you're used to it?
Newbie: Well... Um... No.
Me: Then you see my point.